Monday, January 30, 2012

All Is Well, Baby!

We took Ayden to his first pediatrician well baby appointment today and heard what every parent wants to hear... He's just perfect!

At birth he weighed 7lbs 1.75oz and when we left the hospital he was down to 6lbs 13oz.  Babies can loose up to 10% of their birthweight in the first few days while they wait for the mature milk to come in.  Then you have two weeks for them gain it back.  At the pediatrician today, he weighed in at 7lbs 3oz, we passed his birthweight in just one week!  


This is one proud breastfeeding mama :).


My midwife said now that he's back up to his birthweight, we can let him determine his nighttime feeding schedule.  This both excites me and scares me.  I have to say that I have found comfort in waking him at regular intervals, not only to feed him but to check on him as well.  I may set an alarm just for checking on him but still let him decide when he wants to eat.  He's been sleeping so well that I know that I'll get more sleep this way.  I am also hoping that it will help him feed more efficiently through the night.  He's so hard to wake up and his feedings drag on because he's half asleep for them.  

His pediatrician also said that he had great focus for his age and that his arms, legs and hips are very strong.  We were just beaming with pride! They didn't do the standard percentile measurements.  I suppose we'll start getting those at his two month appointment?

Our big boy at the doctor!

The doctor makes me sleepy!
On another note, since his one week birthday, Ayden has been spending more time awake during the day.  He has had two or three episodes each day since where he'll be alert and content for a good 20-40 minutes.  We've had so much fun talking to him and reading to him.  David even took him on a tour of the house which was really sweet!  It's kind of given us a glimpse of what is to come which is exciting.

Taking it all in :)
~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment