Friday, December 14, 2012

Back on track

Guess who put himself back on his earlier schedule without any parental intervention?



Ayden went to bed around 8:30 last night, woke up at 8:00 this morning, fell asleep as soon as he got in the car to run a couple of errands around 10:45 and then took his afternoon nap at 4:00. It seems as though letting nature take it's course worked out in our favor yet again! I am glad that he is back on his 11 am and 4 pm two nap schedule because he really seems to still need to naps everyday. His mood was great up until bedtime.

Along with all of Ayden's animal sounds he is starting to attempt some actual words. So far his attempts seem to be limited to beginning sounds. He says the beginning of book, uh oh, dad, ball, done (while signing all done), bath, and hi (which is usually paired with a full arm wave). The only word attempt that is with the ending sound is fish which comes out as, "ish."

As I've said before, while I am proud of his physical milestones, I really get most excited for cognitive and now language milestones. I get so much pleasure out of seeing his wheels turning and actually witnessing him making connections. I have to admit that I am so proud that we had a lot to do with whatever he has accomplished. The housework may only be half-way done on any given day but I can proudly say that I have put so much time and energy into intentionally helping this little boy develop and I am very pleased with my efforts so far!

There are a lot of people who say things like, "you are lucky to have such a happy/smart/sweet/etc baby" and give credit for a child's successes to nature or even "luck" as opposed to nurture. Though this may be partially true, I really think that parents need to take credit where it is deserved! We work hard enriching our children's lives, molding and shaping them into the little people that they are. I am going to go out on a limb and toot my own horn (and David's!) because Ayden is a supper happy, social, clever, curious, brave, early walker and we totally had something to do with all of that! Go us!

Happy and thriving!
So, parents of little ones, pat yourselves on the back and take credit while you can! Someday Ayden will have friends, parents of friends, teachers, coaches, even bullies to thank for who he has become but for now, it's mostly us! We can't deny our pride and you shouldn't either :).

For what are you most proud of your little one (and yourself) today?

~Sarah

PS. Our thoughts are with all of the families involved in the CT shooting this morning. Our hearts ache for the families of those who lost a child or loved one today and also for the families of the surviving children who had to witness it. As I rocked and nursed Ayden to sleep tonight I held him tight, felt his fuzzy hair, smelled his clean baby smell and felt so fortunate that he was in my arms. I cannot even begin to imagine...

1 comment:

  1. While parents can take some credit for their children's accomplishments and we can't help but beam with pride, we must always remember that most of it is due to good fortune or god or whatever one believes in. So much needs to go right to have a healthy child and so many personality characteristics are inborn. Early/late walker... probably genetics. Outgoing/reserved... probably genetics. However as they grow there are more and more things that we as parents can point to and say "We taught them that". Knows to put away toys.... definitely nurture.

    ReplyDelete