Thursday, February 9, 2012

Troubleshooting

Today was an amazing day!  

Just finished breakfast
There was a lot of baby wearing going on!
Always the perfect opportunity to snuggle

After yesterday's "episode," I decided to call my midwife to do some more troubleshooting for what I can do to help Ayden with his gas problem.  He has not been diagnosed as "colicky" or anything and even if he were, I'm not sure that I'd buy it.  I feel like if a baby is going to cry, he/she is going to have a reason.  When I say cry, I'm not talking about your typical newborn fussiness that is quickly fixed by a diaper change, feeding or cuddle.  I am talking about the blood curdling cry of a baby who is in severe discomfort where nothing you do can fix it.  My midwife is convinced that it is a hind milk/fore milk imbalance that is being caused by a temporary over supply.  She thinks that when my supply levels out, that his gassiness and therefore fussiness will too.  In the meantime, here are the tips she has suggested that I follow:
  • Reclined nursing which can help slow the flow.
  • Block feeding: Nurse on one side for 4 feedings before switching to the other side.  This ensures that the baby is getting hind milk.  It also keeps him from gulping due to overactive letdown which then leads to air intake.  Some of you might be thinking, "what about the other breast?!?"  When it gets super full, usually around the 3rd feeding on the other side, I will start using my Milkies Milk Saver and hand express the side in waiting while he nurses.  I usually get about a half of an ounce out which takes the edge off.  I keep a Madela bottle with a lid on the counter all day and add to it.  At the end of the day I have at least an ounce to bag and freeze without ever pumping! (Breast milk keeps for a long time at room temperature and it is not recommended that you add room temperature breast milk to refrigerated breast milk.)
  • Burp in the middle of each feeding (usually after the gulping portion of the feeding is finished) and again at the end of each feeding.
  • Continue to cut out dairy.
I've been cutting out dairy for about a week now but I started doing the rest of these things around 6 o'clock last night.  They seemed to work because today was wonderful!  I really got some great quality time with my little man.  I got to read to him and talk to him.  He even looked at some of his high contrast toys for a little while.  When he'd get a little fussy, I'd change him, feed him or cuddle him and he'd calm down or fall asleep.  It was amazing!  

Listening to me talk to him after a feeding

He got to meet his cousins for the first time (they are 2 years old and 4 months old and have been sick so they hadn't gotten to meet him yet).  He slept through most of their visit but it was fun to see them all together.
Sleeping while his cousins visit
Though the day was wonderful, the evening got a little rough.  We aren't completely out of the woods, but it was great that he got to take a break for the tummy rumbles for the day.  We have used the Colic Calm a couple more times and it does seem to help.  Here's to another great day tomorrow! 

~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment