Monday, October 21, 2013

How To: A Simple Fabric Pendant Banner

I have been a crafting machine lately and am LOVING it!  I have always enjoyed decorating our home for Fall and Winter. October through January is an exciting time of the year for us and putting up festive decorations just makes it that much more enjoyable. 

When we first toured this little rental cottage of ours, we were excited to see that it had a fireplace. We've always loved fire places and this is our first time living in a home that has one since we've been out on our own. And an added bonus to having a cozy fireplace is having a mantle to decorate!   

Since the cottage is a rental, we weren't able to mount our TV so it is sitting directly on the mantle. Because of this, I don't have a ton of space on top to work with but that isn't stopping me from adding a little flare!



Here are the supplies you'll need to make your own simple fabric pendant banner:

1. Festive fabric.  2.  Triangle template   3.  Bias tape
4. Rotary cutter 5. cutting mat 6. Acrylic ruler
(can use scissors instead of a rotary cutter)

And a sewing machine!
(optional but makes it so much faster and easier!!)
First, you'll need to take some measurements. I measured my mantle with the bias tape I'd be using to string my fabric together. I took it all the way around the corners on each end so that all visible edges would be covered and also took draping into account. Once I had my measurements, I did the math to figure out what size I wanted my triangles and how many I would need. After I had that all figured out, I made my triangle template out of sturdy scrapbooking paper. 


I used my self healing mat and rotary cutter, along with my template, to cut out all of my fabric triangles. 


The rest of this project practically pulled itself together. 



{I made my actual banner at night with very poor lighting so I used some wrinkly scraps to demonstrate the last two steps.}

Once I had my fabric triangles arranged and pinned, it was time to sew it all together. I toyed with the idea of using a coordinating color (maroon, green, orange or tan) rather than matching with the brown bias tape for this step but in the end I decided to play it safe. Instead of a standard straight stitch or zigzag, I decided to use one of my sewing machine's fancy stitches to add a little extra something. 



So CUTE!

I couldn't have been more pleased with how my banner turned out. It was a super simple, enjoyable and rewarding project from start to finish. Using the bias tape and sewing machine were the keys to keeping this banner quick, simple and super cute!

Some people recommend coating your fabric with Mod Podge to make it a bit sturdier.
I skipped this step and kind of like the soft, delicate look. 


And now we have one more reminder of Fall and the upcoming holidays and fun.  Happy crafting!

Have you attempted a pendant banner yet?  I sort of made one for Ayden's 1st birthday party (though it was out of letters, rather than triangles). It was cute and easy too, but the paper made it very temporary. I love that this fabric banner will last for years to come!

~Sarah

Flashback!  Here's what we were up to one year ago today: "Mrs. Social"

Thank you for stopping by Life With the Ladniers!
Please take a second to:
 Subscribe via email, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter so you'll know as soon as a new post is up!
Miss seeing what Ayden is up to everyday?  Follow us on Instagram!
You can find all of the links in the sidebar.


1 comment:

  1. I love this idea. My DH is buying me a sewing machine for my birthday in 2 weeks, so I'll try to make it then. My most recent project on my moms sewing machine was a bag holder to put your grocery sacks inside. It worked it out great!

    ReplyDelete