Thursday, May 14, 2015

Lessons In Life

Our cat Polly isn't doing very well.  I am afraid this is the end for her.  She is sleeping a lot, only coming out for a small drink of water but she is not eating.  After years of hyperthyroidism she is now going through renal (kidney) failure.  When she was first diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, I was told that this would probably be how "it" would happen.  I am just glad she is sleeping so much and while she doesn't look like she feels well, she isn't suffering so badly that I feel the need to intervene with the process.  I was with my childhood dog when she was put to sleep and that experience has weighed more heavily on me than any other experience with loosing a pet.  While it does make things go quicker for them, I do not really think it is peaceful.  I will do it if she is really suffering but letting nature take its course would be ideal...  We'll see what happens over the next couple of days.  

In the meantime, we are using this as an opportunity to teach Ayden more about death.  He has a pretty good idea from playing with bugs over the years.  Last Summer he liked to "catch" dead bugs the best because they were so easy to pick up.  We do not feel like death is something that should be kept from a child.  The way we see it, death is just as much a part of life as living.  It is sad but not a bad thing. We are hoping that the last gift that Polly will give our family is a lesson for Ayden about death and its true meaning.  

As for me, I am so sad to be loosing my very first baby (I got her when I was in the 8th grade). I wanted a lap cat and that she was and then some. She has been the most cuddly cat I could have ever asked for!  On the flip side, she has had chronic vomiting for years with her hyperthyroidism and since the renal failure began to set in she has been urinating all over the house.  Keeping it all cleaned up has been a lot to keep up with on top of everything else we have going on.  Not to mention, the house now smells like cat pee. I think this sort of thing happens toward the end of a life to pair some relief with the grief.  Nature always finds balance. We had a scare with her a couple of years ago and I was NOT ready. I followed my gut and refused to have her put down on the spot.  I brought her home and she made a full recovery within days. This time it feels so different... like it really is time.  I have had SO many wonderful years with her and she has been an amazing pet.  I only hope she can continue to be peaceful as she goes through it all.

We have been keeping ourselves busy so I can be distracted from what is going on with her.   I put up a small clothes line in the yard and Ayden has excitedly taken on the job of clothes pin clipper.  

More life lessons!



Logan has mastered the pincer grasp!  He was eating his peas with no problem at dinner tonight.




This boy is constantly bringing me flowers! His daddy has taught him well.

Another life lesson that will do him well.
We took TWO walks today.  It feels great to get out and get moving in the fresh air.  Logan rode in the Ergo for our morning walk and Ayden did for the evening walk.  The added weight kicks the exercise benefits up a notch for me which is a bonus.


We have a similar day on tap for tomorrow.  Another low key and Polly comforting day.

~Sarah

Flashback!  Here's what we were up to one year ago today: "Returns - UGH"
Two years ago today: "Homemade Glass Cleaner That Really Works"
And three years ago today: "I'm A Mommy On Mother's Day"


Thank you for stopping by Life With the Ladniers!
Please take a second to:
 Subscribe via email, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter so you'll know as soon as a new post is up!
Follow us on Instagram!
You can find all of the links in the sidebar. 

2 comments:

  1. What a poignant post! I'm sorry for what you're going through with Polly. White vinegar and baking soda help with cat urine smells, but you probably already know that. I'm sure those walks help to clear your mind! I love walks with my baby girl and we switch off between the wrap and the stroller. I remember that you used to film a lot of YouTube videos while on lovely evening walks and that inspired me to get outside more! Good luck with Polly and enjoy that kitty while she's still with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your decision to be honest with Ayden about what is going on. I believe it's best to be as honest as you can be about these sorts of things. Plus if he's anything like my son he probably asks too many questions for you to gloss over anything. When our hamster died we told him the truth he had lots of questions and even though he said he felt sad that the hamster had died, he accepted the truth a lot better than he would have accepted the hamster just disappearing or some other such thing. I also skipped the charades when he asked how babies get in mommy's bellies...

    ReplyDelete