Saturday, May 26, 2012

Summer's Here!

Someone's getting chunky!! :)
I know the first official day of Summer isn't until June 20th but I've always considered Memorial Day weekend as the start of Summer. Because of our mild Winter, the last day of school for kids around here was on Thursday which hasn't happened in a LONG time. During all four of my years teaching, we always had to go at least a week after Memorial Day to make up all of the snow days. The past two nights, after we put Ayden to bed, David and I have taken our dinner out to the front porch and talked to our neighbors while all their kids play. Tonight, all the kids were counting all of the lightning bugs they could see. Yup, summer's here!!

Staying cool.
It got close to 90* today. Ayden started the day off right with an hour long nap! When he woke up, we put him in the jogger, leashed up Mav and the four of us went for a run. It was only 11am and already HOT! The run totally kicked my butt... I've still got a ways to go before I'm back to my pre-pregnancy stamina and strength.

Ayden's morning workout :)
When we got back from our run, we ate lunch and then headed to our hometown so I could teach a make up dance class. It's a duet of a couple of high school gals who chose "Another One Bites the Dust" as their song. I never realized just how repetitive that song is until I needed to think of a different tap rhythm for every time it says the title line. Needless to say, I've been a little less than inspired in the choreography department for their dance. It was really nice that David came with me to take care of Ayden so I could focus 100% of my energy toward knocking out a full minute of choreography during their class.  I know a minute may not seem like a lot but for a fast tap number, it is like an eternity!

Before we headed home, we stopped by a local bicycle store to purchase a bike trailer.

Ummm... Not yet, Daddy.
Ayden is still a little small for it so for now we'll stick with easy rides around the neighborhood or our neighborhood park. Once he's big enough to wear a helmet, we'll be able I take nice, long family bike rides. It's just one more way we've found to model the healthy, active lifestyle that we hope to instill in Ayden.  Here's what we came home with:

source
When we got home we attempted a family nap but Ayden was so rested from the two naps he had already taken earlier in the day that he was still ready to party!  David took Ayden and I attempted a nap but everytime I heard any kind of noise, happy or upset, out of Ayden my body would jolt awake.  I suppose it's all the nights of training it to hop up out of sleep at the sound of Ayden on the monitor.  Next time I'll be sure to shut our door and put a pillow over my head or something :).

We went to the grocery and when we got home, Ayden was finally ready to nap.  I put our spaghetti squash in the oven and the three of us snoozed together for about a half hour while it cooked.  David and I both felt SOOO much better after resting.  

The rest of the night was pretty chill.  David has Monday off so we are considering camping out at my parents farm tomorrow night.  Hopefully it won't be too hot... YAY for three day weekends! 

What are your Memorial Day plans?  We're going to try to take Ayden swimming for the first time.

~Sarah




2 comments:

  1. I have been trying to figure out how to get Henry on a bike with me! I can't decide if I like those trailers or a bike-mounted seat like I had when I was a baby. I like the idea of the seats just because they are smaller and lighter, but they definitely freak me out because I'm afraid of hurting him if I were to fall over on the bike. Let me know what you think of the trailer!
    Cristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. its always so weird to hear about students being done school in may. but then again they go back to school in august. for us, here in canada, students get out late june/early july, and go back to school in september. interesting how different countries work eh?

    ReplyDelete