Friday, November 23, 2012

Some Mississippi Fun

Since today was kind of a "free" day during our visit down south, we visited a few Mississippi attractions.  The first was the Beauvoir, which was the home of Jefferson Davis (who was the president of the South during the Civil War).

Waiting on the porch before our tour.
After lunch, we went to the Institute for Marine Mammal Studies (IMMS).  This place was really fun!  There was a room with touch tanks and fish tanks,

a museum discussing the procedures followed for marine mammal rescue after Katrina, a talk on reptiles,

Ayden touched a snake! :)
and the most fun of all, a dolphin talk/demonstration!

When we left the IMMS, we went to a small vintage car museum, during which Ayden took his afternoon nap in the travel system that David's parents brought down for us.  Next up was a stop to the grocery to replenish our hotel room snacks and then back to the hotel for about an hour while we waited for our dinner reservation.

Needless to say, by the time we got to dinner, at a very nice restaurant (we're talking $30/meal) with 20 of David's relatives, Ayden wasn't really in the mood to sit quietly at the table.  He definitely could have been worse but he was screaming every now and then, knocking everything he could off of the table and was very fidgety.  We didn't blame him at all because he had hardly had any time to play freely all day so what else could we expect from a 10 month old...  David took him outside for a while, We even took him to the car to nurse.  It was WAY too hot to nurse with a cover at the table and I knew that he'd pull it off and fight it with the mood he was in anyway.  I'm a modest gal and didn't feel comfortable nursing in front of all of David's uncles and male cousins in such close proximity, knowing that Ayden would fight the cover.  Once the food came he was very quiet and practically shoveled it all in.  When he was done, he was DONE and we packed up and left as soon as we could.  Luckily David's parents were treating us to the meal so we didn't have to wait around for the check.  We changed him into his PJs in the car before we left, he fell asleep on the way back to the hotel and has been asleep since.  David joined him in bed and I am doing diaper laundry in the hotel laundry mat as I type this.  Not the most fun I've had on the trip but I am enjoying some "me" time in the process so that's a plus.

Tomorrow will be busy too, we are headed to New Orleans to walk around the French Quarter and go to David's brother and sister-in-law's baby shower where we get to give them our home made gift.  We are staying busy but are enjoying going with the flow and having so much time together.  It can't be beat!


No comments:

Post a Comment