Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Too Much Of A Good Thing

Geeze... Poor Mav.
We have gotten a TON of egg plant in our CSA box the passed few weeks.  We like egg plant but not enough to eat it for two or three meals a week for this many weeks straight.  I ended up letting a little of it go bad and giving some away to my mom.  WIth what we did keep this week, I made ratatouille for the first time.  I've wanted to try it ever since I saw the movie Ratatouille and since we have learned that we like egg plant.  I found a recipe on Pinterest and crossed my fingers.  The verdict?  We LOVE ratatouille!  I will definitely make it again.

A few weeks ago I made egg plant parmesan over zucchini and yellow squash "pasta" which Ayden LOVED.  He'd get the leftovers out of the fridge and eat them cold. As for any more egg plant that we get in our boxes over the next few weeks, I am considering trying out bobaganoush.

David and I were reflecting on our CSA membership experience a couple of nights ago.  Do we like it? Yes.  We love the idea of supporting local farmers.  We have friends who run a CSA near Nashville, TN and on their blog the recently said that without their CSA they would not have been able to make ends meet this season.  I'm not sure if that is the case for the farmers on our CSA farm but we like the possibility that we can have that much impact on one family.  There are also several things that I may have never tried had they not been surprises in our boxes.  Ground cherries for instance, which are a new favorite of mine.  It has also given us an idea of what we like having a lot of, what we only like having a little bit of and how realistic it will be to preserve certain foods for Winter.  We can use this knowledge for future reference when planning out our own gardens and food preservation plans. Now the question is, would we do it again?  Our answer is probably not.  We do plan to have our own garden every year but for any supplementation we need, we'll enjoy perusing the entire market and filling our bags with things that we choose rather than them being chosen for us.  All in all we are glad we have had the experience of being CSA members and would recommend at least trying it out for a season to anyone.

Do you like egg plant? What are your favorite egg plant recipes?

~Sarah

Flashback!  Here's what we were up to one year ago today: "Have A Seat"
And two years ago today: "The Great Explorer"


Thank you for stopping by Life With the Ladniers!
Please take a second to:
 Subscribe via email, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter so you'll know as soon as a new post is up!
Miss seeing what Ayden is up to everyday?  Follow us on Instagram!
You can find all of the links in the sidebar.

4 comments:

  1. I personally would be overwhelmed with that many veggies from a CSA. Especially since most kids wont touch veggies and parents end up eating it all. I also wouldn't know what to make and would feel guilty letting something go bad. Getting that much eggplant also seems quite annoying. After 3 nights of eating the stuff I would definitely need a break from it. I am beyond IMPRESSED that your son enjoys veggies. You definitely don't see that in most kiddos his age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You named my two favorite eggplant recipes already, so I have nothing to offer :( but funny story: our nickname for my first (while I was pregnant) was bobaganoush. I was mama-ganoush and my husband was papa-ganoush. It phased out but it was cute while it lasted. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the CSA verdict... we got it one summer, enjoyed it, but realized it just wasn't for us. We liked going to the farm or farmers market and picking out what we needed/wanted at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby loves ratatouille! Me, not so much. But he makes it for himself for lunch pretty often. My son will eat the extra raw veggies that he doesn't use. It's a great way to get a lot of veggies in.

    ReplyDelete